"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,
who have been called according to his purpose". Romans 8:28




Sunday, February 21, 2010

Peruvian cumpleaños

Life has definitely brightened up since my last post. Thank you to all who supported me during my difficult time last week. I could feel your prayers and encouragement uplifting me! On Thursday we had our first group Bible study which was much needed. It was a time for us to refocus on what we are doing here in Peru and how we can encourage one another in our mission to bring light in the darkness. One of my team members shared Philipians 3:13-14 and felt this was something we all needed to hear: "Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus". So that is what I plan on doing; forgetting the past hurts and pains (which have helped refine who I am) and strain on toward what God is doing through us in Peru.

On Friday February 19th I turned 23 and spent my first of three birthdays here in Peru. I wasn't sure how it was going to be since the week had been a little challenging and homesickness was starting to set in, but it was more than I could have ever imagined! My roomie Cailyn (in the picture with me) made sure that it turned out to be a special day, along with the entire team!
It was a two-day celebration filled with some of my greatest memories so far in Arequipa! Cailyn and I kept up one of my old traditions by taking a picture with me at 12:34 (the time I was born). We also went to the plaza for some Cusco coffee which was delightful! That evening the Tibb's invited us over to their house for a fiesta where Jill prepared all of my favorite things (thanks again Cailyn): piñas, peanutbutter/chocolate cake,and kettle corn.
On Saturday we continued the celebration by going to a free Alpaca farm and museum called Mundo Alpaca. It was the highlight of my birthday weekend! I can't imagine a more perfect celebration. This birthday will be hard to match for sure! Now I am energized, healed, and ready to face some more clases de Español!




No comments:

Post a Comment